Worlds 2009 in South Africa

This forum enables anyone to give feedback or request further information about the IFMAR Fifth Scale World Championships.

Moderator: The A Team

Re: world 2009

Postby hessel » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:14 am

SAracer2010 wrote:Will the real World Champion please stand up

I see in this thread is the who’s who of 5th scale racing, yet you claim to be the World Champion! Well sir, you are certainly not behaving like one. To be a world champion you have to compete & win on every continent, not your local track you need practice on every weekend. You supposed to promote RC racing, exposing your talent to us mere mortals that one day hope to buy a 5th scale car & that indeed may one day pay some of your income.

To say ‘whoever wins this event, or better still does not win may not be a worthy champ” is a disgrace. I am sure that person who is crowned World Champion in Africa would rather disassociate himself with you..

------
Edit by Daz to remove excess blank lines and duplicate post.

Get real SA Racer, don't judge us based on 1 decision. We have been all over the world to promote the 1/5th scale, and not only on a "local track".
I don't like the way you think and write about us now. :!: :!: :!:
Hessel Roskam

What is here isn't here, but just there without a "t" .....
hessel

Postby Notch » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:23 pm

I notice we have had no response from SAracer......................

:-? :-? :-?
"Some people are like Slinkys..........They serve no purpose, but you have a laugh when you push them down the stairs"
Team Maximum Service Racing
RS5 T11 RDK for 2011, www.rs5-modelsport.com
www.maximumserviceracing.com
www.craigavonmcc.com
Notch

Postby craig1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:12 am

He's busy getting ready for the World's :roll:
JPM RACING
CASTER PRODUCTS
RB PRODUCTS
craig1

Postby MIKEEEE » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:20 pm

If the event goes ahead, I wish the organizers all the luck in the world and I hope it is a great event.
Look forward to racing against the winner at the next worlds in France.
It´s not my job to fix everything, it's my job to get everything fixed!!
MIKEEEE

Postby MIKEEEE » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:21 am

Not sure this will help their cause but, copied from the "TRAP" web site.

Point to Ponder ......

THE MOANING STARTS (AGAIN)

ONCE AGAIN we’re hearing moans from Europe and USA regarding the venues for three of the upcoming IFMAR World Championships during 2009-10.
The events are the 1:5 On Road Worlds and 1:10 EP Off Road Worlds, both due to be held at the TRAP facility in Pretoria, South Africa and the 1:8 GP Off Road Worlds at Pattaya, Thailand.

The complaints, mainly from Europe, regarding the 1:5 Worlds venue, is that South Africa will mean incurring excess luggage costs.
That is true but laughable. No matter where the 1:5 Worlds are held excess luggage costs will come into play (except of course, Europe, where the complaints are coming from).
“Extra costs” complaints– from the people who have chosen Lostallo, Switzerland, to host the 1:8 GP On Road World Championship.

Lostallo, one of the most expensive places in Europe and in the middle of nowhere.
That’s fine though, it’s in our own backyard, who cares about the rest of the world seems to be their attitude.

The moaning from USA in particular regarding the EP 1:10 Off Road Worlds to be held at TRAP the week following the 1:5 Worlds is nauseating.
“Do we have to travel outside USA?” seems the most regular question from their officials, followed of course by “it’s too dangerous”.

On what basis they claim the latter is unknown, they have never been to these places but we guess perception is reality.

IFMAR is made up of four regions and each region has, in rotation, the opportunity to host a World Championship.

Anyone who has visited Thailand and, in this instance, Pattaya, knows they are as safe there as they are at home.

Our first hand experience of South Africa leads us to the same conclusion.
Leading into the 2006 IFMAR 1:8 GP Off Road World Championships the Americans in particular were vocal about the Indonesian venue–one ignorant magazine editor even
suggested a boycott of the event and holding an alternative Worlds–in the USA of course.

As Mark Pavidis–one of the few USA drivers who did venture to Indonesia to compete and who won that World Championship–
said afterwards of those who didn’t attend, “they missedthe best World Championship I have attended”.

The hory old excuse–it’s a dangerous place–is specious. Sure, South Africa can be dangerous but then again, so can any location.
Let’s not forget USA executed one of its own citizens for blowing up a building and causing the deaths of more than 200 of its citizens.
And there was the Atlanta Olympic Games bombings.
How about the late 1990’s IFMAR 1:10 EP Off Road World Championships in Los Angeles with its muggings and seedy neighbourhood?

The point is every city in the world has dangerous places where you are best not to go.
Keep away from the danger spots and things should be fine.
Critics raise the example of one high profile driver being pulled over while driving and robbed when at the 2002 EP Touring Car Worlds.
It happened and was undoubtedly traumatic for those concerned, however a few golden rules of travel were broken in that misadventure and really, simply invited trouble.

Travelling to other countries outside your comfort zone can challenge you, however the rewards in terms of experiencing different cultures, sights, sounds and food while all the time joining
everyone else in doing what we like to do best–racing RC cars–is priceless.

TITC at RCS, Bangkok, Thailand, is a perfect example of this and is why it is so popular.
We hope IFMAR has the balls to tell those complaintants that the FAMAR and FEMCA regions are entitled to host their World Championships and the events will be held at the venues chosen.
Arguments against the venues are specious at best and should be treated as such.

Some believe FAMAR should not host any Worlds or be included in one of the other regions, however that is an argument for another time.
As IFMAR’s rules stand, South Africa and Thailand are entitled to host these events and objections simply display the ignorance and/or selfishness of those making them.
MIKEEEE

Postby hessel » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:28 am

A letter like this will most certainly not help.

But to start a new discussion, who of the SA entries were at some of the previous worlds??? You are accusing us of not coming over to SA because "it is to far"...... but where were they in USA ,Lostallo and Australia????
Hessel Roskam

What is here isn't here, but just there without a "t" .....
hessel

Postby MIKEEEE » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:49 am

Some believe FAMAR should not host any Worlds or be included in one of the other regions, however that is an argument for another time.
As IFMAR’s rules stand, South Africa and Thailand are entitled to host these events and objections simply display the ignorance and/or selfishness of those making them.

Firstly, FAMAR has every right to host worlds or any other event that they
apply for.
Secondly, To say "display the ignorance and/or selfishness of those making them" when you have never even meet them and are trying to get them to come to your event might not help. It is up to you to help convince us to come to your event by answering our concerns, insulting the possible drivers at your event wont help too much.
MIKEEEE

Postby Pog Ma Thon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:36 am

You have to love the South Africans.

They have taken what has been pointed out and blown it way out of context. Also they have failed to answer what I, Hessel and others have asked.

But this is way past the discussion period and there is no point saying much more about it.

I suppose we will just have to see how many South Africans are at the worlds in Breast, France in 2 years.

Regards
Cormac
Cormac Wyatt
Team Maximum Service Racing
RS5 T10 RDK www.rs5-modelsport.com
www.maximumserviceracing.com
www.craigavonmcc.co.uk
Pog Ma Thon

Postby hassro » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:26 pm

Hey Guys I know of at least 1 SA that went to Australia Frikke Bandenhurst.

I can see both side of this because SA does sound like a dangerous place to live. We are getting plenty of then moving to Australia :P

But I did travel in SA be it 10 years ago and never once felt threatened while there, we we there for 4 weeks and also traveled into Zimbawee and Zambia. It really depends on where you stay and where you want to venture out too.

But I can also see travel/Costs and uncertianty in an Unknow country and in these economic times why it is a difficult decission to commit to the event.

I wish SA club all the best with the event and if I had the $$$ I would travel to the event just to watch it. I know I could get accommodation free with work mates who have property and family there unfortunatly I don't have the funds for the travel.
Cheers

Rolf Hasse

Keep out of HARMs way
hassro

Postby Oddified » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:52 am

We could discuss this until the cows come home, the rights the wrongs, the top and bottom of it all is in reality the vast majority of drivers from across the world have chosen not to participate in the Worlds in SA this year.

In 2 years the next Worlds are in Brest/France, i'm sure that there won't be any discussions on any forums expressing any concerns and there will be a very good attendance from across the world.

Ian
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Oddified

PreviousNext

Return to IFMAR Fifth Scale World Championships