Formula 1 Aerodynamics do they work or just add weight

Please use this forum for all information and questions regarding 1/5 Scale Formula 1.

Formula 1 Aerodynamics do they work or just add weight

Postby CARB » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:09 pm

Hello

This is a question I have been thinking about for a while, checking the aero question on the net, I have found that on a full size car nothing starts to work until the car is travelling a 100kph or 60mph.

Has anyone done any real life testing to accertain the benifit or is the reduction of drag a better route to faster lap times, after all the trade off between down force is the increase in drag.

So is a slippery shell and keeping the air flow over and around the car a better option?

Hope this creates some good ideas
CARB
CARB

Postby mike_humphreys » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:47 pm

I think one of the biggest issuse you have against 1:1 F1 is that they're set up to within a rizla thickness, where at best 1:5 are set up with a plastic camber gauge and a vernier - and in some cases, a hammer.
You've also got bent front bumper/wing to contend with which you can do little about, the obstacles you drive over be it a bit of gravel or a kerb are all 1:1 scale not 1:5 scale so unless you can get a car in a wind tunnel then I think the best you can do is, what you are doing now.

I hope this doesn't sound negative because it's not meant that way.
HOW CAN SOMEONE SEARCH EVERY CORNER OF THE GLOBE?
mike_humphreys

Postby scuba_steve » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:01 pm

There is an article from a Japanese RC magazine that wind tunnel tested the 1/10th F140 Tamiya. When they tested the aero of the car they measured and found there were some small gains caused by the body and wing.

I'll try and find it.
scuba_steve

Postby Stegy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:56 am

Well after few seasons in Largescale F1 class, I've tried tons of stuff on these cars.
I can tell you there is a difference in using difusor and without, especially after the straight, you can turn more aggressively without loosing rear end traction.
About front and rear wings, for front wing there is a big difference in using fg standard front wing and other I'm using, genius front wing and lightscale lexan front wing which fits on fg wing, which is the fastest modification you can do, it does make a difference if you need a slight more or less front grip, by just removing 3-4 screws that hold that lexan wing on plastic fg one.

About the rear, very simple example, last year on EFRA GP in Zagreb on 15min warm up for finals I was using single rear wing and had a bit of oversteer, stopped in pits, added 2nd rear wing and had a lot of rear grip, with slight understeer.
So in my experience it does make a difference, it's just a matter of how your car is setup, how soft is your suspension and how you as a driver can notice a differences.

I've tried all these tests also on the car of my sister without notifying her to see the actual results, cause when you change something and know you've made a change automaticly you expect some difference.
All these tests were positive, so for me it's also a part of setup for each track, now I have to bring all wings I have and 2 different difusors to make setups. :mrgreen:
Stegy

Postby CARB » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi there
That is very interesting, as I broke my front wing at the WLSC meeting at Cotswold last Sunday during the Formula 1 final and thought I would drive the car with out it to finish the race.

I can honestly say that on the main straight it felt as if the front of the car was lifting as the steering became very light and I had understeer as well at certain corners.
This would lead to a conclusion that the rear wing was working and unbalanced the car set up towards the rear.

Eventually I could not control the car on the straight and I crashed, nothing to serious, but a lesson learned.

regards CARB
CARB

Postby mike_humphreys » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:10 pm

I'd bet Alan fron "triple A racing" could make some cracking diffusors for these cars.
mike_humphreys

Postby Laszlo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:42 am

Hi Mike,

What do you think of this ?

http://www.modelcargo.com/ktmllite/imag ... argo18.jpg
www.modelcargo.com

SAMBA pipes - Choice of the World Champion
Laszlo

Postby CARB » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Hello Laszol

As a piece of craftmanship it looks great, could I ask how the design was worked out, on a ratio from the full size to 1/5 scale.
And have you had any test results form the previous version, do you see any need to use a prepreg cloth and a autoclave to obtain a really stiff chassis.
I had some sheet made in this manner, it was so tough and hard I could hardly cut and if you tapped it with a piece of metal it rang as if it was steel.
Good stuff but I can not use it unless I could get hold of a water jet router.
regards
CARB
CARB

Postby mike_humphreys » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:10 pm

Laszlo wrote:Hi Mike,

What do you think of this ?

http://www.modelcargo.com/ktmllite/imag ... argo18.jpg

They look great, is that the new Lauterbacher?
mike_humphreys

Postby CARB » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Mike

Read the post link "GENIUS" aero packge. I dont think Lauterbacher are making a Formula 1, let alone a new one, I got this from Marcus

regards
CARB
CARB

Next

Return to 1/5 Scale Formula 1