Magnetic Diff

Please post large scale car & truck related questions in this section.

Moderator: The A Team

Magnetic Diff

Postby vette09 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:53 am

Looking to buy a Mag diff for my FG, but after looking on this site, not sure which one to get. I would assume the one modified by Ian Oddie would be the way to go, but just want to get other opinions. I've heard that it works very well in loose conditions, anyone use it or have experience with it? What's the difference between the 3 diffs that they have listed? Thank you for your help.
vette09

Postby vette09 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:43 pm

Anything? :cry:
vette09

Postby Lone_Ranger » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:54 pm

vette09 wrote:Anything? :cry:

Too early mate, all still asleep here!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Rob Lochier
ALRO Racing Systems
Engine Tuning/Repairs/Servicing

Quote:- "It`s only Toy Cars really"!!
Lone_Ranger
Mr. Alro Racing
Mr. Alro Racing

Postby 3Quarters » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:37 pm

Lone_Ranger wrote:
vette09 wrote:Anything? :cry:

Too early mate, all still asleep here!!

I see not everyone is asleep across the pond.... :D

I'm curious also... My Buddy Brian up there has standard diff which seems to work better than my Viscous diff on our unprepared parking lot track... I've been contemplating a magnetic diff myself....
Why do today what you can put off till next week!
3Quarters

Postby Oddified » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:13 pm

I can't realy comment, i do the mods and i'd be accused of being biased!.

I've run one in my car for several years now (by choice, i've tested every other diff/make/version), and my results aren't to bad :wink: :lol:

There's plenty out there and plenty of people on here use them so i'm sure someone else will comment after weekend.

Ian.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Oddified

Postby RcTek » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:24 pm

Hi Ian,

Biased would be;
All other are sh$t, mine is awesome...

You (normally) check out everything, so it would be interesting to read an overall summary (without giving anything away) of what's available and their general strengths and weaknesses.
Hmm...
RcTek
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Magnetic Diff

Postby Lone_Ranger » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:01 pm

vette09 wrote:Looking to buy a Mag diff for my FG, but after looking on this site, not sure which one to get. I would assume the one modified by Ian Oddie would be the way to go, but just want to get other opinions. I've heard that it works very well in loose conditions, anyone use it or have experience with it? What's the difference between the 3 diffs that they have listed? Thank you for your help.

I have to agree with Daz on this one, I don`t reckon you would regret getting one of Ian Oddies diffs!!

Rob Lochier
ALRO Racing Systems
Engine Tuning/Repairs/Servicing

Quote:- "It`s only Toy Cars really"!!
Lone_Ranger
Mr. Alro Racing
Mr. Alro Racing

Postby Oddified » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:14 pm

The diff is one of the most important items of a large scale model car that has direct influence on the cars characteristics and lap times.

The problem with only rear wheel drive as we have is that drive out of the corners can easily be lost, and having an engine screaming on the exit of a corner may sound 'fast', it's actualy slow and isn't doing anything for tyre wear either. Some car settings can have adverse effects on the requirements of the diff as they provoke diff out despite having a beneficial effect on the set-up and driving charateristics of the car. Obvious ones are running stiff rear roll bar, but theres lot's more such as front hubs with large king pin off sets or useing lots of castor angle. Both create jacking of the car on lock, unloading the inside rear wheel.

Theres many many different versions of diff's, and really there are only 5 types ever used in large scale model cars. in particular order:-

1, Standard basic gear diff, no locking effect what so ever and even filling it with thick silicone has negligeable effect on the track. Easy to drive though in any condition and on tricky surfaces (changing, patchy or wet) can be very good. If the track has huge amounts of grip it can also be ok, but that only happens at some world championships.

2, 4 plates or taper cones and 2 plates behind the planet gears. Depends on the materials used to how aggresive the locking effect is and also the angle of the tapers. The latest diff's i do of this type have 2 flat plates and two tapers of 15 degrees (other manufacturers use 25/30/35 degrees because they were the angles being used when they copied the mods :roll: ). Can be very very good, but the track has to be suitable, medium to high grip, fairly smooth and don't run the curbs. Because the diff locks with the torque through the diff, any bumps/curbs unsettle the car and can make it very difficult to control. No good in the wet.

3, True scaled down lsd (ZF type). There's only a few of these around, Jozeph (rs5) built a handfull and i built 3 around 10 years ago. Very complicated which would equal very expensive. They can work very well though, but still very track dependent and best on very high grip. As they work with torque on a cage around the 4 planet gears, the locking effect is governed by the angle of the V between the cages and the oil/grease inside. They can also have a different V angle (locking effect) for acceleration to deceleration which no other large scale diff can do. Not generaly available, but also not a general purpose diff either. No good in the wet.

4, Viscous diff, originaly designed by an Austrian i believe for model cars. Can be very good in the right conditions with the right grade oil/amount inside and the right amount of plates. Generaly better on good to high grip, but even then can sometimes make the car unpredictable especially on bumps. Of the two makes(fg, lauterbacher), i found in testing that the lauterbacher viscous diff was generaly better. No good in average, poor, or wet track conditions.

5, Mag diff, made by Harm. Totaly different concept to the others, with 12 magnets fitted in rings on the output gears. These generate power in the case which is a dead short so the locking effect directly proportional to the diff out. The bonus is that it is a smooth locking effect no matter what the surface. Mods for them are fitting 2 mild flat friction plates and that's now standard on new ones from Harm. The latest mod i do is to convert it into the EL diff, this has a metal former fitted in the centre of the diff with two copper coils wound on it. This gives a massive increase in drive/locking effect but is still perfectly smooth in it's operation on the track. It is effectively an electric motor in reverse, as a brake but only for diffing. Works very well in all conditions, wet to very high grip.

I used the mag diff in the worlds in Lostallo in the wet, and have used one ever since including at the worlds in Australia which was high grip. 1st and 3rd respectively :D :D :D :D

That should do you Daz :wink:

Ian
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Oddified

Postby RcTek » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:46 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks very much -- I dare anyone to deny that is absolutely anything but informative.

And as a reward... I've added a little something (to your profile) :)
Last edited by RcTek on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hmm...
RcTek
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vette09 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:47 pm

Thank you everyone, especially Ian :D . Very informative and helpful. I guess my decision is made!! Now, do I order it directly from Ian or through Rapid-Racing? Does Ian take credit cards?
vette09

Next

Return to Large Scale Questions